Here is my feeling and opinion as editor of the website and as one of the animators of The Magic Worlds Studios. And also but not the least, as a global citizen. I apologize in advance for my bad English.
It is not being arrogant to being a proud resident of a country that inspired The Human Rights charters, France. This is an honour. Since the age of Enlightenment we fighted all kinds of obscurantisms. That long and difficult struggle resulted in the separation of Church and State and the principle of religious neutrality on the part of the State. The Muslim world needs to conduct its secular revolution, instead it will continue to produce a bunch of ignorant extremists. Christians did it (and sometimes need to continue to do it), Muslims can do it too. Then we will all enjoy a world of peace.
While I’m profoundly chocked by what happened in my country this November, I’ll do my best to ensure the effective functioning of the notices, and beyond, of the community of creators I belong to. Religions tend to raise the human spirit, protect life, empower the weak. We all must fight the stupid cowards who consider religions as weapons. May God bless you and the bereaved families.
Today we know that we will be able to upload textures and meshes to the coming new virtual world by Linden Labs, called for the moment SL2 or Second Life 2.0.
So in the next days you will see this addendum appearing on the full perms meshes and textures sold both inworld and on the MarketPlace by the designers of the Magic Worlds Studios (listing here) :
“All full perms meshes and textures will be given to you directly in the coming new virtual world created by the Linden Labs (that I call here SL2). You will have to be the same avatar first and last name in Second Life and in SL2, and you will have to copy paste to me (the creator) a proof of your purchase in SL1 (ingame or MarketPlace). So I recommend you keep any trail of your purchases. In any case I don’t grant you the right to upload my stuff directly by yourself, which is forbidden by the Linden Labs TOS anyway.”
In cases this addendum is not existing on some stuff, i.e. old stuff or oversight on the creator part, consider this post as a commitment.
– The item has to be full perms when sold in SL1 (Second Life)
– The stuff belongs to textures or mesh categories
– You need to show a proof of the purchase
– You have to be the same avatar first and last name in Second Life and in SL2
For the other perms stuff, we did not state anything yet but we’ll do our best when we’ll have more infos from the Linden Labs.
I remain at your entire disposal for any clarification, any time, any way. I thank you for your confidence, which some of you have now shown for many years, and I wish you all the best !
The Linden Labs and their CEO Ebbe Altberg announced their teams are working on a project of a new platform that will looks like Second Life. You can read the press release at the NWN blog and some statements made by Ebbe Altberg on the SLU.
Some are scared and some are excited. As representative and lawyer of The Magic Worlds Studios I applaud this decision as the fact the code will be closed is the focal point of it.
I would write first that LL is a RL company and they certainly don’t want to chop off the very branch they are sitting on. They have bills and wages to pay. On the other hand they have to face several things :
- Users ask for a better experience, a better viewer, lowest tiers, things that are already provided by challengers
- Customers ask for a safe purchase environment. With the increasing of ripped content, their inventory risks to be soon full of IP replacements, which will also be a problem for the LL incomes.
- Content creators ask for a better protection of their stuff and a better selection of the Content creators stuff.
This to say that closing the code is absolutely vital and LL already stated on all these previous points :
- “But, we’re also working on something that we think will truly fulfil the promise of virtual worlds that few people understand as well as Second Life users.” [Source] “So for now it’s just the fact that we’re investing a lot in a next generation platform, in the spirit of SL, that will be better…better quality, better performance, more devices, enable incredible experiences…” [Source] Understand that LL won’t give us more informations. It would inform challengers. Also : “We’re early in our discussions about business models but I’m thinking lower land tax and higher sales tax” [Source] meaning more land owners and less low quality made stuff. On challengers : “I’d be more concerned if LL did not invest in the future and if some other company made a better product, as that migration would certainly be more complicated than what we will offer” [Source]
- Ebbe Altberg wrote twice LL never and won’t steal any content : [Source] and [Source]. And the users and Content Creators will be at the centre of this new world : “an open world where users have incredible power to create anything they can imagine and content creators are kings” [Source]
- Things have been said like :
- the Linden Dollar will be both in SL and in the new world, facilitating exchanges [Source]
- a cross-platform chat will be enabled [Source]
The idea is : imagine Second Life as a lovely but very old house. Everybody like this home very much but, after a while, it as been littered with vermin and the electric block diagram, hydraulic or pneumatic circuit plan went so hard to understand that we cannot make any repair or improvement more.
The best is to rebuild a new home. That is what LL aims to do : a brand new code and no vermin allowed.